Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gonna Fall Back on the "Post a Video" Gambit

I've been pretty damn busy, and I've got a couple of pending posts that need more work than I've had research/linking time. I heard this tune by recently re-formed Scottish pop group The Vaselines on the local college radio station. Like a lot of songs I dig, this song is decidedly upbeat, almost saccharine, until you pay attention to the lyrics, which are acerbic as hell. Don't play the song in front of impressionable young 'uns because they will start singing it, and the chorus is sure to land them in the principal's office:




Note: In the comments, zrm, who is the one zombie who would rather consume vinyl than brains, lamented:

Looks like the only thing available on emusic is the compilation though, and this fine song is not on it.

Since I am a bastard in nym only, I have to chalk up my failure to mention the free mp3 download to the fact that the post was written in the wee hours of the morning. I also want to state that the 80's were a great decade for me (I had a big, blond 'fro throughout the decade), but they were a disaster politically, and (as the song points out) our society is feeling the repercussions of these bad political, social, and business decisions at the present time.

7 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Gonna Fall Back on the "Post a Video" Gambit

Oldest trick in the book!

P.S. The 80's were kind of good for me, at least as I remember them now.
~

Butch Pansy said...

I was in my twenties, employed, fuckin' hot, single, and an absolute caution. Your mama wasn't too sure about me. The alcohol and other drugs were still fun. There were lots of fish in the sea.

That's all changed. Well, I'm still hot, just smoldering, not smokin'! Life is full and complicated, still worth living, and that lurid past has made me the man I am today, which is okay by me.

At least Wire is still making great music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctw_EX-fQbk&feature=search

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

well, hell, I like that quite a lot, even if it's not gonna make the Arbitrary Zombie List....

Looks like the only thing available on emusic is the compilation though, and this fine song is not on it.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I, myself, had a great time in the 80's as a young 'un, but politically, they were a disaster, with Reagan/Thatcherism. As the lyrics say:

Brain(?) like a Rubik's cube,
Didn't notice we got screwed.
Now the party is all over,
And we're left with the hangover.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

mention the free mp3 download

Hanx, Uncle Bad!!


wv filerzin, which this certainly does.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I was still alive in the '80s.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

"Posting a video" isn't just a gambit if some zombie loves it.