Thursday, March 3, 2011

Kia Kaha

AK made me aware of the Māori phrase Kia Kaha. I'm heading out to the wake for my family friend, who succumbed to cancer at the age of twelve. In the face of such a horrifying tragedy, the normal mourning process tends to be short circuited, the platitudes we tend to mouth at memorial services are trite and meaningless. It's better to just lend support, to be a visible presence.

Tonight, it's "Closed mouth, open arms."

Kia Kaha!

Thanks for the outpouring of support!

4 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

He sounds like a Warrior.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Closed mouth is what I do best at times like these, cause it doesn't work so good. Hugs for you and your friends, BBBB.
~

Vonnie said...

Very very sad for you. I'm shaking my angry fist at cancer, and sending you a bigwarmsquishy and hopefully consoling hug.
These last two posts are beautiful, by the way.

Larkspur said...

I have to do something good in his honor. Kia kaha. I'll figure it out.