Sunday, April 10, 2011

Schedule's Been Topsy-Turvy

One of my co-workers asked to do a switcheroo with our hours this weekend, so I found myself doing graveyard shifts. The good thing about graveyard shifts is that the workplace is quiet and peaceful, the bad thing is that they really throw a monkey wrench into one's "internal clock". Yesterday was a gorgeous day, warm and sunny, so I didn't want to sleep the whole day away. I made a point of waking up in the early afternoon and spent a couple of hours sitting on the front stoop chatting with neighbors, re-reading Tlรถn, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius and The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim , while drinking homemade limoncello from an old mustard jar (insert "approach to al-Mustardsim" joke...). I figured that I could get snockered, and sleep it off for a few hours before getting up for work (that's how I roll, baby). Sheesh, this sounds like the song Friday, if it were sung by a drunken pseudo/quasi-intellectual.

It's been a quiet night, and the local college radio station I listen to has been playing some fantastic stuff (check out the archives, people). I'd never heard of the band Return to Mono, but the song Framebreaker made an impression on my befuddled "it's 2:45 AM and you haven't got yerba mate" brain:





I've got just an hour and a half to go before I can hit the sack. This evening, I'm planning on hitting Tagine on 9th Ave. to see Secret Science Club goddess Dorian Devins (one of a pantheon of two!) perform some standards. I think I'll need a pot of strong Moroccan coffee to keep me awake.

3 comments:

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

Oh, I think you're being falsely-modest when you say "psuedo."

The song has a great 80's New Wave-ish (I don't know if that's an entirely accurate description, but it's what popped into my head) vibe to it. Kind of reminds me of OMD.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Like a rose that blossoms out of a sidewalk crack, Tagine Dining Gallery sweetens the theatre district with an exotic and alluring perfume.

Well FSM knows it needs it...
~

TruculentandUnreliable said...

vs, that makes total sense. I was actually reminded of the Happy Mondays when I first listened to it--synthy with some atonal vocals on top of it. But they're tighter and her vocals are sexier than I thought.

They're like......shoegaze-y trip hop?