Monday, June 2, 2014

Redbud Keeps on Giving

I am going to open this post with a tip of the hat and a thank-you to Thunder, who clued me in to the edibility of redbud flowers. The pretty flowers have a hint of sweetness and make a dramatic addition to a salad:




Today, I tried the young, green seed pods for the first time, stir frying them much as I would stir fry snow pea pods, which the redbud pods resemble somewhat:




The trees are fairly prolific, and there are enough of them so that I could gather a fair amount of pods without overharvesting. They have a nice, tangy flavor and are more "substantial" than snow pea pods- they are pleasantly chewy.

The fully developed seeds are also edible, the Native Americans used to roast and eat them. In a couple of weeks, I should be able to put them to culinary use. At any rate, the redbud is pretty much the giving tree described by Shel Silverstein- it is not only a beautiful element of the landscape, but it provides a diverse edible bounty for the entire spring.

Thanks, Thunder! Thanks, redbud!

4 comments:

John Going Gently said...

Pink...my colour

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I didn't partake this year...and they disappeared from W.V. pretty quickly.

I am kicking meself for not getting those huge "seedlings" from Kroger's for 12.95. They were taller than I am, and pretty stout. Maybe next year...before the landscapers come by and grab them all.
~

Sirius Lunacy said...

You should mail some over to OBS and see what kind of beer he can make from it.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Pink...my colour

Don't get any ideas about introducing invasive flora... I alternate between eating the Japanese knotweed and whacking down whole stands of it.

I didn't partake this year...and they disappeared from W.V. pretty quickly.

See if you can find some of the seedpods- the flowers are gone, but the pods should still be available.

You should mail some over to OBS and see what kind of beer he can make from it.

I'm contemplating making some nettle beer.